What used to be just a simple boost in web traffic is now an essential part of surviving in business. As more and more demand for comprehensive and accurate search results arises, the search engines get more complicated in how they rank sites within the SERPs (search engine ranking pages). Search engines now analyze much more than just keywords and links. With the steady rise of social media over the last decade it has become imperative to maintain a strong presence on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other platforms.
So what exactly is SMO?
Social Media Optimization (SMO) is an essential component of a complete SEO campaign. Commonly referred to as Social SEO, SMO involves using a company’s social media properties to boost traffic, rankings and brand awareness. Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn have become an indispensable way for businesses to communicate with their customers. While SEO drives traffic from search engines to your site, SMO is all about directly interfacing with your customers on their social feeds.
How does one implement SMO?
There are many ways to incorporate SMO best practices into your SEO campaign.
- Create all of the social media accounts you can. Including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and possibly Pinterest.
- Make your accounts and profiles pages on social media stand out with your branding and great images.
- Fill out complete profiles. Put your website in the URL field, write a great bio, and everything else the sites allow you to enter.
- Respond to customers when they talk to you. This is the one thing you shouldn’t overlook. People hate being ignored, make sure you are monitoring your social media at regular intervals.
- Integrate your social media with your website. Put sharing buttons, social feeds, and calls to action that ask visitors to like your content on your site.
- Yes, SMO takes time and effort, but the rewards it can provide are well worth the time and effort put into it.
If you need help getting all of this done, don’t worry! We can do it all for you. Check out our Social Media Marketing plan. We’ll get you set up with the right tools, make sure your accounts are beautiful, and get new content posting every day.